Masters Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Studies in Architecture at Georgia Tech are comprised of three distinct degree-granting programs: the Master of Architecture, the Master of Science (MS with several available areas of concentration), the MSUD (Master of Science in Urban Design) and the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy degree with several available concentrations).  For descriptions of each degree, please select the graduate tab on the architecture website and then select the desired degree and area of concentration.

The M.Arch Program is the professional Program in architecture leading to the NAAB-accredited Master of Architecture Degree.  This program accommodates a 2-year long curriculum for students who hold a 4-year, pre-professional degree in architecture and a 3 ½ -year long curriculum for students who hold an undergraduate degree in a field other than architecture.

The MS degrees, the MSUD designated degree and the PhD programs are post-professional programs in advanced architectural studies and are oriented toward advanced practices, scholarship and research.

Applications are submitted via the Graduate Admissions Website.
If you are a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and you wish to claim Georgia Residence for tuition purposes, you must complete the Application for Georgia Residence Status form (included with the on-line application).

Please read all other requirements specific to each degree program –these instructions are included with the application.  You will have an opportunity to upload documents with your application for review by the School of Architecture.  Upon admission you will be required to produce the certified original documents for graduate admissions.  Mailing and uploading instructions are available at the graduate admissions website along with the application. 

As soon as graduate admissions acknowledges receipt of your online application you will be sent several emails with further instructions regarding uploading of a PDF of your portfolio, if applying to the M.Arch, MS or MSUD programs,  or your scholarly writing sample  if applying to the PhD program.

In addition to the above requirements, international students are required to submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (T.O.E.F.L.), and proof of financial support for the first year of study.

The application opens each year on September 1st for Summer and Fall admission for the next calendar year.  The deadline for submission of applications and all supporting documents is December 15th for all students (U.S. and International). Late submissions are accepted on a case by case basis. Please contact Robin Tucker to request a late submission exception.

The School of Architecture does not set minimums for the G.R.E. test, but the average among our students is relatively high.  Admission to graduate study by the School of Architecture is competitive and based upon merit as evidenced in the applicant’s previous academic performance, G.R.E. and/or T.O.E.F.L. scores, portfolio, and other supporting documentation.

The School of Architecture requires a minimum T.O.E.F.L. score of 100.  This requirement exceeds that of the Institute.  International students must meet the School of Architecture minimum to be considered for admission to graduate studies in architecture.

Applicants to the 3 ½ year M.Arch Program must apply for summer admission.  (This is anyone who is an International student and anyone without an undergraduate degree in architecture from a NAAB accredited US university).  The 2-year Program applicants must apply for fall admission.  (This is anyone who HAS a full undergraduate degree in Architecture from a NAAB accredited US university.)  No applications will be considered for spring admission.

The School of Architecture awards financial assistance only in the form of research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships.  The awards are very limited and are based on merit only.

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and wish to be considered for financial aid, you will need to complete an application for financial aid  through the Georgia Tech Office of Student Financial Aid.   For access to instructions and the application please visit the financial aid website at and complete the appropriate forms in order to apply.  Answering “yes” to the question on the application for admission DOES NOT constitute application for Institute Financial Aid.  You will still need to complete the financial aid application at the Financial Aid website listed above in order to be eligible for any aid through Georgia Tech.

You should send the School of Architecture Office a letter indicating your interest and qualifications for these awards.  You may include the letter, in a separate envelope, with the package containing your portfolio.  Note that in order to be awarded the fellowships available through the School of Architecture you must have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) through the financial aid office at Georgia Tech.  Please visit their website for access to the form and instructions.

Licensure requirements include a professional degree, a period of practical training (internship), and successful completion of all of the sections of the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).  Each state determines the specific requirements with regard to initial training, examination, and professional practice.  In Georgia, for example, a candidate for licensure is required to have a professional degree from  NAAB-accredited program and three (3) years of acceptable IDP (Intern Development Program) training to be qualified to sit for the Architect Registration Examination.  Student may initiate the IDP process prior to graduation. For more information, read "Becoming an Architect" by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.


Example: I had my education in Singapore and English was my first language in my education in Singapore. Do I need to take TOEFL exam?

Anyone who is not a US Citizen  or a Permanent Resident of the US must take the TOEFL unless they have attended school in a US or UK College or University for a minimum of one academic year.  Exceptions -- Citizens of or attended a College/University for at least one academic year -Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Granada, Jamaica, New Zeland, Saint Kitt and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Grenadines, South Africa, Ghana, Nigeria, Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua (West Indies).  Please note that the TOEFL is the ONLY acceptable language test approved and recognized for admission by Georgia Tech.   Georgia Tech does not at this time accept the IELTS as an allowable language test for admission.

 If there are any questions about the need for a TOEFL, please contact the Georgia Tech Graduate Admissions Office directly.

The reason we ask for availability of funds is for visa purposes.  In order to be eligible for an I-20 for travel and study in the United States you are required to show available funds of a minimum of one year’s support for issuance of an I-20 and ultimately make it possible for you to obtain a visa for travel and study in the U.S.   You may access the bursar’s website for a table outlining the tuition and fees for each program at Georgia Tech.