T. Russell Gentry
Associate Director for Research, Digital Fabrication Lab (AWPL)
Phone: (404) 894-3845Office location: 247 4th Street
Associate Professor Russell Gentry is a structural engineer and building materials researcher. His research focuses on technical performance aspects of building materials, components, and assemblies. His work has considered mature building materials and systems, with ongoing projects in wood and concrete masonry, and on emerging building materials, with work in FRP (fiber reinforced polymers) and bio-based residues. Dr. Gentry’s research addresses technical aspects including structural and mechanical performance, weathering and durability, constructability, material and component representation issues, and environmental impact. At Georgia Tech, Dr. Gentry teaches courses on structural materials and systems, fabrication, environmental impact of construction, and building energy. Dr. Gentry’s research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, by the Federal Highway Administration, by the National Concrete Masonry Association and by the American Institute of Architects.
Dr. Gentry is Co-Chair of ASTM Committee D30.05, Composite Materials – Structural Test Methods and is on the editorial board of the ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction.
- 1992 - PhD Civil Engineering (Structures), University of Michigan
- 1986 - MS (Civil Engineering), Georgia Institute of Technology
- 1985 - BS (Civil Engineering), Georgia Institute of Technology
Dr. Gentry pursues research that fall into three broad themes:
- Developing and assessing new load bearing materials and systems
- Embedding structural and fabrication logic into CAD and simulation tools
- Quantifying embodied and ongoing energy impacts of buildings – and use of these metrics in the design process
His current work in the materials area focuses on the development of high-modulus FRP reinforcements for use in strengthening juvenile pine laminated timbers. His work in the structural systems area is focused on concrete masonry, jointly with Tristan Al-Haddad and Andres Cavieres. He recently completed project (with Charlene Bayer of the Georgia Tech Research Institute and Michael Gamble) examining the future of Life Cycle Assessment in architectural practice.
Dr. Gentry is the former Associate Director of Research in the Advanced Wood Products Laboratory and is currently a faculty leader in the College of Architecture’s Digital Fabrication Laboratory.
- Gentry, T.R., Joshi, S. and Weaver, C. (2010), “LCA of Cement-Based, Polymer-Based and Natural Architectural Finish Materials,” Concrete Sustainability Conference, April 13-15, 2010, Tempe, Arizona.
- Cavieres, Andres, Gentry, Russell and Al-Haddad, Tristan (2009) “Rich Knowledge Parametric Tools for Concrete Masonry Design: Automation of Preliminary Structural Analysis, Detailing and Specifications,” 26th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC), Austin, Texas, United States, 24-27 June 2009.
- Gentry, T. Russell, Cavieres, Andres, and Al-Haddad, (2009), “Parametric Design, Detailing and Structural Analysis of Doubly-Curved Load-Bearing Block Walls,” Proceedings, 11th Canadian Masonry Symposium, Toronto, Ontario, May 31- June 3, 2009.
- Choudhary, Ruchi, Augenbroe, Godfried, Gentry, Russell, and Hu, Huafen (2008) “Simulation-Enhanced Prototyping of an Experimental Solar House,” Building Simulation, (2008) 1: 336–355.
- Gentry, T.R., Wacker, J.P., Brohammer, K.N., and Wells, J., “In-Situ Materials and Structural Assessment of CCA-Treated Stress-Laminated Deck Bridge,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2028, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2007, pp. 28–33.
- Bank, L.C., Gentry, T.R., Johansen, G.E., Wilson, R., and Weil, R., (2007) “Long-Term Performance Of A Pultruded Light Frame Canopy Structure”, Third International Conference on Durability and Field Application of Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRPs) for Construction, May 22-24, 2007, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- Al-Haddad, T. and Gentry, T.R., (2006) “PerFORMance: Integrating Structural Feedback into Design Processes for Complex Form-Active Surfaces”, Digital Architecture and Construction, A. Ali and C.A. Brebbia, editors, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Digital Architecture and Construction, WIT Press, 2006, pgs. 97-109.
- Kock, J., Barbieri, R., Justice, J., Kurtis, K., Gentry, R., Nanko, H. (2005), “Characterization of Chicken Feather Material for Use in Biocomposites”, Proceedings, American Society for Composites 20th Annual Technical Conference, September 7-9, 2005, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
- Gentry, T. Russell, Augenbroe, G., Park, C.S., and Moon, H.J., (2004) “Framework for Assessing the Performance of Building Systems,” Proceedings, CIB World Building Conference 2004, May 2-7, 2004, Toronto.
- Gentry, T.R. (2001) “Life Assessment of Glass-Fiber Reinforced Composites in Portland Cement Concrete,” Proceedings, 16th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Composites, Blacksburg, Virginia, September 10-12, 2001.
- ARCH 6226: Green Construction
- ARCH 6506: Construction Materials, Systems, and Fabrications
- COA 8833: FGT – Zero Energy Housing
- ARCH 4251: Structures I (Wood and Steel Structures)
- ARCH 4252: Structures II (Concrete Structures, Lateral Forces)
Current PhD Students
- Andres Cavieres
- Francisco Valdes